Monday, April 2, 2012

Hunger Games

I loved the Hunger Games trilogy! I have read through those books 2 or 3 times. I love the main character Katniss. I love how she ALWAYS over thinks things, much like I often do. I love the use of inner dialog.

I can admit that I was so sucked into these books that on more than one occasion I would wake up in the middle of the night from nightmares. I was dreaming I was in the stories, in the books, fighting for my life along side the other characters.
I enjoyed and talked about the books so much that Joe decided to read them too.  :)

Then a few months ago we heard that the Hunger Games movie was coming out. I was SO excited to see the movie! I searched online for movie theaters and times at the different Korean theaters. I knew that the movie would come out around the first or second week in April.

Well when we found out that one of the military bases here in Korea would be having a showing of the Hunger Games movie a week before the movie opened in the Korean theaters, we jumped at the chance to see it.

Lucky for us we have a slew of friends willing to sponsor us so that we can get on base.
(In order to get on to a military base in Korea, Joe and I have to have a military member or sponsored spouse sign us on and take responsibility for us while we are on base. We are grateful to have friends that are willing to share the comforts of home with us by allowing us to go on base with them.)


Our friend Janelle hosted a Hunger Games party before the movie. She even had Hunger Games inspired food. You should check out her blog, One Apron, She wrote all about the yummy food and drinks she made. I loved her goat cheese tarts with night lock berries. YUMMY!

We filled our bellies then headed to the theater.

I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the movie. If you have not read the book, you should. Its a quick read, I'd say an average reader could finish all three books in a week. The movie lacked some of my favorite aspects of the book. Obviously Katniss' inner dialog was missing. The relationships between the characters wasn't as strong as I think it should have been. I understand that the movie couldn't be just like the book. The movie would have had to be 8 hours long. I get it. I just think that some of the passion that I felt in the book was missing in the movie.

Even if the movie was lacking. We still had a great day. Wonderful company, good food and great conversations.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your frustration-great books are hard to recreate in movies! But...I did enjoy the movie as entertainment. Glad you had a good time with your friends, and very glad that Joe read a book!

    ReplyDelete